If you are a permanent resident and you have a partner who is not in Australia, it can be difficult to get married. The good news is that there is another way! You can apply for a fiancé or fiancée visa, which allows you to bring your partner into Australia with you. This allows both of you to live together before marriage (or at least plan one) and then have time together before saying “I do.”

Step one – Invite your partner to apply for a fiancé or fiancée visa

To be eligible to apply for a fiancé visa, you must:

  • Be married or in a de facto relationship. You cannot live together as part of your partner’s family unit until after the visa has been granted.
  • Be over 18 years of age. If you are under 18, only one parent may accompany you onshore at any time during your application process – this is known as a ‘partner’s derivative’.

You also need to demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and physically through work or study (this will include evidence of an employment contract). Your partner does not need this kind of support if he/she intends staying in Australia temporarily with his/her family members during their stay here; however, it may help them adjust more quickly if they do have financial stability. *Not have been convicted of an offence involving dishonesty (including fraud) within 10 years prior to applying for your visa. *Not have been sentenced by court order for imprisonment exceeding 12 months

Step two – Apply for a partner visa the same way as if you were applying for a visa to visit Australia by yourself.

You can apply for a partner visa in person at an Australian Embassy or Consulate. You will need to provide the following when applying:

  • Proof that you are married. This could be a certificate from your wedding, or even just an affidavit from both parties saying that they are married.
  • Proof of relationship (for example, birth certificates). If one of the applicants is not included in this list, then it must be shown why they should be included or excluded. This may include children born into the relationship, previous marriages and divorces etc…

Step three – Determining your eligibility for the partner visa

  • You must be married to your partner. The visa is only available to couples who have been married for at least two years, or who are in a de facto relationship.
  • You must live together as a couple. The visa is not available if you simply share the same house but do not spend time together outside of it every day; it’s also not valid if you live apart from your partner on a temporary basis (for example, while studying).
  • Your relationship must be genuine and stable, meaning that there is no history of domestic violence between either party or any allegations that one spouse has acted towards the other in an abusive manner over the past five years before applying for an Australian partner visa.

Step four – Entering Australia with your partner

You can apply for a partner visa at the same time as applying for your visa to visit Australia.

You can apply for a partner visa from within Australia.

You can also apply for a partner visa from abroad, if you are outside of Australia at the time of application and wish to enter Australia on this basis.

If you have met and plan to marry, you can apply for a partner visa.

If you are in a relationship with your partner and want to marry them, then it is possible for you to apply for a partner visa. You must show that the relationship between you has been going on for at least 4 years before applying for this type of visa.

To qualify, both individuals must meet the following requirements:

  • They must have met each other within Australia or overseas;
  • They must have had some kind of relationship (not necessarily sexual) with each other; and
  • They must be living together as husband/wife or de facto partners.

We hope you have enjoyed this introduction to ways of how you can come with your partner to Australia! If you’re not sure where to start, contact us at Worldly Connections and we can help.


Emigrantz Global Consultancy registered and partnered with ICCRC (ICCRC – R407847) has more than a decade’s experience in the immigration industry. We have been fulfilling the needs of Permanent residency, student visa, business visa and work permit aspirants for Canada along with other countries.

We are just a call / email away to help you in making your dreams come true.

Contact us on: +966-547598555 / 966-569521000 / 966-541219841

Email : /