You settle in the UK by obtaining indefinite leave to reside. It is also known as “settlement.” It grants you the freedom to stay in this country as long as you wish, work here, study here, and, if you qualify, ask for benefits. To apply for British citizenship, complete this form.

Depending on your situation, there are various ways to apply for indefinite permission to remain.

Working in the UK

If you have a work visa, you could be eligible to apply.

Typically, you have to have spent five years living and working in the UK. It may be two or three years if you hold a tier 1 visa. It may be three years if you have an innovator or global talent visa.

Depending on your visa, you might additionally need to meet the wage or financial requirements.

Having relatives in the UK

If you have a spouse, parent, child, or other relative who is a British citizen or who has indefinite right to reside in the country, you might be eligible to apply.

What visa you have and how your family member has settled affect how you apply.

If the following conditions apply:
  • Your relationship ended because of domestic violence
  • Your partner has passed away
  • If you’ve spent ten years residing in the UK
  • If you have resided in this country for ten years or more, you might be eligible to apply.
  • If you already hold a visa based on your private life, you can apply in a different way.
  • If you have a visa based on your private life (due to the time you’ve spent in the UK), there is an alternative approach to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

There are other options to apply for indefinite permission to remain if you are ineligible due to the period you spent in the UK.

You could be able to extend your stay for an additional two years if you are not qualified for indefinite leave to remain. You must have been continuously residing in the UK for the past ten years legally (also known as your “continuous residence”).

If you have lived in the UK for five years on a UK Ancestry visa and are a citizen of another country in the Commonwealth, you may apply.

In the UK, some Commonwealth citizens have the “right of abode.” This indicates that there are no restrictions on your ability to live or work in the UK. See if you can submit an application to demonstrate your right to abode in the UK.

If you apply under the Windrush program, for instance, you might be able to obtain citizenship instead.

How to apply for residency in the UK

To apply for your settlement, you must do so using either the Set (M) form or the Set (O) form. Depending on the kind of visa you presently have, you should use a particular form.

Form of Set (O):

To apply for a UK Settlement visa/ILR if you have a visa in one of the following immigration categories, you must use the Set (O) form:

  • PBS dependent
  • Employment not requiring a work permit
  • Work permit holders or dependents of work permit holders
  • Highly competent immigrant
  • Highly competent immigrant
  • UK ancestry
  • writer, composer or artist\s
  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) migrant\s
  • Tier 1 (Investor) migrant\s
  • Tier 2 migrant\sUK ancestry
  • grieving partner
  • not covered by other application forms, other purposes

It will also be necessary to provide proof that you have an annual salary of at least £18,600. You can do so by using money from your sponsor, British-earned earnings, your partner’s and your own state or private pensions, or cash savings of more than £16,000.

When submitting an application for ILR or settlement using the Set (M) form, certain papers will be needed, such as a passport, travel documents, a current visa, bank statements, tax returns, and proof of domicile. Additionally, you must present copies of your passport’s initial and last pages, as well as any pages with visa or immigration stamps.

For each person applying on the form, you will also need two passport-sized color photos with your full name printed on the back. So all dependents are included in this. Plus a passport sized photograph of your partner with their name written on the back.

All paperwork must be submitted in its original format. Any documents that are not in English or Welsh must be translated, signed, and date by a registered translator.

Set (M) form:

The Set (M) form must be used by the partner of a resident of the UK. Any children you have who are younger than 18 may be listed as dependents on this application.

To qualify, you must have met the requirements of residing in the UK for the previous five years on a spouse or civil partner visa.

Documentary proof similar to that needed for the Set (O) form must be provided. You can also be asked to provide proof of all absences from the UK throughout your qualifying period, in addition to those documents.



Emigrantz Global Consultancy registered and partnered with ICCRC (ICCRC – R407847) has more than a decade’s experience in the immigration industry. We have been fulfilling the needs of Permanent residency, student visa and work permit aspirants for several countries.

We are just a call / email away to help you in making your dreams come true.

Contact us on: +966-547598555 / 966-569521000 / 966-541219841

Email : /