The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a program that allows certain individuals who have lived in Canada for at least nine months to apply for permanent residence. The CEC was created in conjunction with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, which outlines requirements for permanent residency by non-citizens.

What is Canadian Experience Class (CEC)?

Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a program that allows you to immigrate to Canada. You can use CEC if you have at least 1 year of work experience and a job offer from a Canadian employer.

You will also be eligible for CEC if:

  • You are currently working in Canada or were previously working in Canada; and
  • Your employer has submitted an application for permanent residence as well as your own application for permanent residence; and
  • Your employer has paid at least six months of social benefits during the period between the start date of employment and submission of the ITA (Immigration Tracking Application).

How to apply for CEC?

To apply for CEC, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You must have a valid work permit. If you do not have one, then your employer can sponsor you in order to obtain one for you. This is done by filling out a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) form which must be approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Once approved it allows your employer apply for permanent residence status under Express Entry Program as soon as possible after completing an LMIA application form;
  • You need to provide education documents that indicate what kinds of degrees or diplomas that qualify as “Canadian experience”. These include high school diploma or GED certificate; any certificate issued by the Canadian government’s Graduation Requirements Organization (GRO); any certificate issued by provincial governments’ post-secondary institutions; any university transcript showing degree(s) obtained at any recognized post-secondary institution anywhere in Canada including those outside Ontario except Quebec where French language proficiency requirements apply instead of English proficiency requirements due mainly because there are other bilingual requirements even though only some Ontario universities offer foreign language courses but these same institutions may accept foreign graduates who meet their own eligibility requirements if they speak another language well enough so far without being too difficult yet challenging enough so students don’t feel like giving up halfway through before reaching completion point!

What is the minimum requirement for this program?

You must have worked for at least one year in Canada. You also need to have a job offer from a Canadian employer with a salary of at least C$25,000 per year.

Must I have a job offer from a Canadian employer?

You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer. In order to qualify for the CEC, you must meet all of these criteria:

  • You must have a valid work permit and your job offer must be with a Canadian employer who has a valid work permit. This means that your employer must have applied for and received his or her own work permit before hiring you. If he or she does not yet have his/her own work permit, he/she cannot hire someone else until he/she receives it (which could take up to six months).
  • Your new position will be in one of Canada’s provinces or territories, as well as its capital city (e.g., Ottawa).

When does my 9-month work permit become valid?

Your CEC Work Permit is valid for the duration of your studies, internship or job.

If you are enrolled in a full-time degree program and have completed an academic year (18 months), then your work permit will be valid for six months after the last day of classes. If you are enrolled in an undergraduate certificate program and have completed four academic quarters (six semesters), then your work permit will be valid for eight months after the last day of classes.

Can I work without my 9-month work permit?

The short answer is yes. You can work in Canada without a work permit for up to six months if your employer has no objection, and you have a valid study permit.

The long answer is that there are several ways of working without a valid immigration status, but they’re not ideal:

  • Working under the table – This means that you’re using false documents or making up your own to get paid by someone who doesn’t know what’s going on. Many employers won’t even consider hiring someone this way because it’s illegal and immoral; however, some do it anyway (especially since they don’t want to hire legal immigrants). It also means that any money saved from not having taxes taken out will go straight toward paying fines or jail time instead!
  • Working illegally – If possible, avoid doing this at all costs because it could lead directly into deportation proceedings once discovered by immigration officials later down the line! However, if there’s no other option available then consider yourself lucky because chances are good those people wouldn’t be able handle working legally either so maybe life isn’t so bad after all.

Is there any age limit for applying for CEC?

The age limit for applying for CEC is 18 years old. If you are a dependent of a CEC applicant, your age will be 19.

If you are under the age of 20, then it’s okay if your parents have CEC cards too! They can still apply together (with their own forms) and get their children into Canada as well!

Is there any minimum salary requirement for CEC applicants?

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a job-sponsored immigration program for applicants who have worked in Canada for at least one year after immigrating.

The CEC allows you to apply for permanent residence if you meet certain requirements, including having a job offer from a Canadian employer and being able to demonstrate that your skills are relevant and marketable. You also need language proficiency in English or French as well as an education requirement based on the level of training completed prior to arriving in Canada.

If you’re looking to immigrate to Canada and are proficient in English or French, you may want to consider applying for the Canadian Experience Class.

The Canadian Experience Class is a program for skilled workers who have worked in Canada for at least 1 year. It also allows applicants who have studied full-time at an educational institution in one of our country’s official languages (English or French) since before turning 21 years old up until they turn 55 years old. The CEC has been around since 2002 but became more popular after it was made easier for people living abroad who wanted faster processing times when they applied under this category during their first visit back home after being away from home for many years due to travel reasons like studying abroad abroad university courses related subjects such as engineering degrees’ bachelor’s degree programs master’s degree’s doctorates etcetera…


In this article, we have provided you with all the details about CEC. We hope that you have found this information useful and can use it to your advantage when applying for permanent residency in Canada. If you already know about this program but want more detailed information about each requirement, then just let us know by leaving a comment below!



Emigrantz Global Consultancy registered and partnered with ICCRC (ICCRC – R407847) has more than a decade’s experience in the immigration industry. We have been fulfilling the needs of Permanent residency, student visa, business visa and work permit aspirants for Canada along with other countries.

We are just a call / email away to help you in making your dreams come true.

Contact us on: +966-547598555 / 966-569521000 / 966-541219841

Email : /