People busy with learning new things

The temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) allows you to remain in Australia to live, study or work after you have finished your studies. The visa has two streams: Graduate Work stream and Post-Study Work stream. The length of your stay will depend on which stream you apply for.

Recent Visa Update

Eligibility requirements for a post-study work visa (Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) will be relaxed if you’re enrolled with an Australian education provider and have been impacted by COVID-19 and associated travel restrictions.

Under these arrangements:
  • You will be able to count this towards the Australian Study Requirement if you’re an existing or new student visa holder undertaking online study outside Australia because of COVID-19.
  • Eligible graduates affected by travel restrictions will also be able to apply for and be granted a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa outside Australia.
  • Extra time will be given for you to provide English language results if you’re unable to take a test in their home country because of COVID-19.Additional time will also be provided to undertake biometric collection and health checks if COVID-19 has disrupted access to services.

Who is eligible for the temporary graduate visa (subclass 485)?

To be eligible to apply for the temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) you must

  • be under 50 years of age
  • hold an eligible visa
  • have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course
  • meet additional requirements of the relevant stream

Do I need to complete an English test for a temporary graduate visa (subclass 485)?

You may require evidence of your English profiency as part of your visa application. Take IELTS (The International English Language Testing System), an English language proficiency test for study, work and migration.  As IDP is the co-owner of the IELTS test, you can take an IELTS test at any one of our Australian IELTS test centres.

Will I need OSHC (overseas student health cover) to support my application for a temporary graduate visa (subclass 485)?

At the time of application, if you hold a valid Student visa, you’ll already be covered under an Overseas Student Health Cover policy as a condition of your Student visa requirement. You should include evidence of your existing OSHC with your visa application.

However, you’ll still need to get a 485 visa health insurance at some stage during the visa processing period in order for your 485 visa application to be finalised. You’ll be contacted by The Department of Home Affairs as they will need  evidence that you have taken out a policy that complies with 485 requirements prior to issuing your 485 visa.

For example, if your Student visa expires during the 485 visa processing period and you are issued with a bridging visa, your OSHC policy will also expire. Before the expiry of your Student visa and OSHC policy, you must get a new health insurance policy that complies with the minimum level of health insurance for 485 visa holders. Once your 485 visa application is granted you must have and maintain adequate health insurance for your entire stay in Australia.

Temporary graduate visa 485 FAQs

1.What is a 485 Visa?

The 485 Visa is for international students under the age of 50 who have completed a CRICOS registered course.

There are two streams to this Visa:

Graduate Work Stream

If you have recently graduated from a course relating to an occupation where there is a skill shortage in Australia. This visa allows international students to live, work and study in Australia.

  • You can work and stay in Australia up to 18 months
  • Hold a qualification relevant to an occupation on the skilled occupation list
  • Bring your family to Australia
  • Processing time is approximately 4 months

Post-Study Work Stream

If you have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. You can work and live in Australia with this visa.

  • Work and Stay between 2 and 4 years in Australia, based on your qualification
  • Hold a recent degree from a CRICOS-registered course
  • Bring your family to Australia
  • Processing time is approximately 4 month
  1. How can I check my occupation is on the list?

You will need to check the occupations on the Australian Government’s Immigration skilled list.

  1. How to check if I am eligible for this Visa?
  • Must have completed a course with an Australian institution
  • Must satisfy the English language requirements in the form of IELTS, Pearson Tests, or Occupational English Test
  • Meet Australian Health conditions
  • Skills assessment would also be required for the applicant on the graduate work stream, but not the post study work stream.
  1. Does Visa 485 also require a police check?

Yes, all dependants on the Visa who are over 16 years old, need to submit a police check.

  1. Can I work full time on 485 Visa?

If you are holding 485 temporary graduate working visa, you have full time work rights for the duration of your visa. If you want to continue to stay in Australia after your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa for a different subclass.

  1. Which health insurance do I need for 485 Visa?

Student visa holders will need to change their (OSHC) insurance to graduate health cover along with their visa.The Australian government requires to have the basic health cover for yourself and any family members you bring with you while on a 485 visa. Your evidence will be your insurance agreement, which you will need to show when you apply for a 485 visa. These arrangements should cover the period of visa processing and for the entire time for your valid visa. There will be multiple factors that may help you find the most suitable health cover for your graduate visa like if you’re single, a couple or a family. Once you’re on the pathway of getting your graduate visa, we can offer you the best possible offers from our industry leader partners.

  1. When should I apply for the 485 Visa?

Applicants should apply for this Visa within 6 months after their course ends.

  1. Is 485 a migration visa?

No, the 485 visa is a temporary graduate work visa and it will give you working rights to gain onshore work experience. The 485 visa, will also let you live or study in Australia. With each visa type there are specific requirements for you to meet to be eligible to apply. As there’s no one-size-fits-all solution, we recommend that you book an appointment to speak to one of our migration agents to understand which visa may suit you.

How Emigrantz can help?

Emigrantz offers an array of services designed to take the stress and confusion out of the process of applying for a visa in Australia. Whether you prefer to manage your own application and just need some friendly advice or whether you need comprehensive migration advice and application assistance,


Emigrantz Global Consultancy registered and partnered with ICCRC (ICCRC – R407847) has more than a decade’s experience in the immigration industry. We have been fulfilling the needs of Permanent residency, student visa, business visa and work permit aspirants for Canada along with other countries.

We are just a call / email away to help you in making your dreams come true.

Contact us on : +966-547598555 / 966-569521000 / 966-541219841

Email : /