The government of Canada offers a program called open work permit. It is meant for professionals who wish to work in Canada temporarily while they are waiting for their permanent residency. The program is open to both resident and non-resident professionals as well as students registered with CIC’s Study Permit Program or other programs recognized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
What is Open Work Permit (OWP)
Open Work Permit (OWP) is a program that allows foreign workers to work in Canada on a temporary basis. It can be renewed and applied for by the employer or worker. The permit will be valid for one year and can be extended for another 12 months if required.
The worker must apply for their OWP through an approved agent who will then submit your application on your behalf, which means you won’t need to go through the process yourself. If you’re applying through an approved agent, this person would also collect all documentation required as part of your application, including:
- An attestation from yourself stating that you have proof of adequate health insurance coverage;
- Proof of residence in Canada; and/or
- A copy of your passport or other identification document issued by a government authority
Who can apply under this program?
You can apply for open work permit if you are a citizen of Canada, have permanent resident status in Canada and are currently working in that field.
You may also be eligible for an open work permit if you have been granted temporary resident status in Canada and are seeking employment in accordance with the terms of your residence permit.
How to apply for Open Work Permit?
To apply for an Open Work Permit, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You also need to have a job offer in Canada and your employer must be willing to pay the required wage from their business.
To qualify for this program, an offer letter from an employer must contain:
- The expected number of hours per week for which work will be performed;
- An indication that there is a position available; and
- A statement of how much money or value will be paid per hour worked.
The government of Canada offers a program called open work permit.
The government of Canada offers a program called open work permit. This program is designed to help Canadians re-enter the job market after being out of work or looking for work for some time.
The following are some of the benefits that you can enjoy if you apply under this program:
- You will be able to work anywhere in Canada and even outside of it if necessary; however, it may not be permanent employment as there are restrictions on how long your employment will last (i.e., maximum duration).
- You will have access to health insurance coverage through your employer while on temporary assignment with them under this program (if applicable).
The program is designed for international students and temporary business professionals who wish to work in Canada. To apply for this program, you must have a valid passport from your country of origin and a letter from your employer stating that you are not eligible for a work visa (i.e., a Labour Market Opinions Letter or LMOL) or any other type of permit under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).
Emigrantz Global Consultancy registered and partnered with ICCRC (ICCRC – R407847) has more than a decade’s experience in the immigration industry. We have been fulfilling the needs of Permanent residency, student visa, business visa and work permit aspirants for Canada along with other countries.
We are just a call / email away to help you in making your dreams come true.
Contact us on: +966-547598555 / 966-569521000 / 966-541219841